Hazardous waste must NOT be placed in any of your household waste, recycling bin or green bin.
Hazardous items include:
- Batteries – Lead acid/rechargeable *alkaline AA, AAA, C,D & 9V are accepted in the general waste bin in small quantities. Alternatively you can recycle them at participating stores and some Councils. Check ‘batteries’ in the A-Z directory for more details
- Gas bottles
- Pool chemicals
- Solvents (such as paint thinners)
- Waste oil
Green Industries SA provides a service for the collection of these hazardous household wastes and farm chemicals at the GISA depot located at the corner of Magazine Road and Henschke Street, Dry Creek. The depot is open from 9am-12pm on the first Tuesday of each month (including public holidays).
From July 1 2019 the Dry Creek depot will be closed.
From mid July 2019 you can take your unwanted paint and household chemicals to new, more conveniently located centres in Campbelltown, Heathfield, North Plympton and Edinburgh.
For queries on where to take paint, and household chemicals please call 8204 2051
Items NOT accepted:
- Ammunition or explosives (contact the Police 131 444)
- Asbestos (Click here for information on safely and legally removing asbestos or contact EPA or Safe Work SA)
- Pressurised gas cylinders (contact the EPA your local council), or contact All Pressure Testing at Lonsdale on 8384 6737 or Elgas at Para Hills West on 8368 4700
- Radioactive materials (contact the EPA Radiation Branch)
- Tyres (see details under Tricky Items or contact the EPA)
Important note: medical waste also has specific licensing and management requirements and is not part of this collection.
Hazardous waste queries
For further queries, please contact Green Industries South Australia on (08) 8204 2051